watching Benjamin Wigley’s Paa Joe and the Lion (2016), you were asked to keep the following in mind:
- Contexts in which coffins are commissioned and used
- British public’s reactions to Paa Joe and Jacob’s coffin-making and attitudes towards death
- The funeral for Paa Joe’s mother (the family’s preparations for the funeral, coffin-making, burial)
- The unveiling of the lion coffin and ceremony in the National Trust’s Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire, UK
After watching the film, write a response (minimum 250 words; maximum 375 words) that fully addresses the prompt below.
Prompt: For your response to the discussion question, pick 1 of the topics (e.g. “Contexts in which coffins are commissioned and used” etc.) listed above. In your response, discuss:
- Your initial reactions and/or thoughts to the film
- How does the film address, illustrate, or make use of your chosen topic?
- Be sure to discuss at least 2 examples from the film for your chosen topic
- Who do you think is the primary audience for this film? Why?
- Optional: any questions that came up for you while watching this film